Thursday, November 12, 2009

Wedding Ceremony?

After my post this morning about guilt, I had my first "test" on my quest to say "no" more, and feel guilty less. I won't get into detail, but I passed with flying colors. I am not saying that I am trying to stop doing anything for anyone but myself, just that I want to do things out of joy and care for others and not because I feel guilty if I don't. I think this may be my New Years Resolution...a little early.

On another note, Eric and I started to discuss our wedding ceremony plans tonight at dinner. We are having a friend of Eric's (a responsible one, we promise) marry us so we want to have the ceremony written far in advance so he can start practicing. However, what do Eric and I know about writing ceremonies? Nothing at all.

I decided to start looking at readings first, but THEY ARE SO CORNY. So I gave up. Then I decided to look at "sample" ceremonies online but THEY ARE SO CORNY. So I gave up again. Now, here I am...does anyone know anything about writing a ceremony? Or have any recommendations for awesome readings that are not so corny you want to throw up while reading them?

A few months ago I actually found the vows that Eric and I are going to use. They are so perfect for us it is like we wrote them ourselves. I would post them but I have friends and family who read the blog who don't want to know, but I promise to post them after the wedding (wow, don't you just hate bloggers who tease like that? cuz I do!). Basically my point is I know there is stuff out there that is just honest, truthful and not ridiculously corny and I just have to find it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Time to go get organized for the weekend (Tiff's wedding). I'll try to post tomorrow afternoon when I need a break for the million hour process that is straightening my hair. And the best part? It's going to pour all Saturday anyway...sweet!

11 comments:

  1. Congrats on saying no! We had to search around for a bit to find a ceremony that fit us but basically just tried to make each step as personal as possible. Can't wait to hear the vows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may want to look at Weddingbee for ideas. But other than that just mix and match. Readings are like Hallmark cards - it takes a while to find the right one! 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for exercising your "no" muscle! Haha. I totally have the same problem, too. It's really hard, but definitely necessary to be able to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, hair straightening! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey kelly, my hub and i had my uncle do our ceremony. he got ordained online, so i planned our entire ceremony. let me look some stuff up over the weekend (had conferences allday so my brain is fried..and i will send you more info..)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We, like you, had a family friend marry us. He is an older friend of my parents and married my brother and his wife as well. Our ceremony was not in a church and not at all religious, so I basically pieced together everything that was read. I did use somewhat traditional vows for the actual "marrying" part, but other than that, I just found some passages/readings that meant something to me. It was hard, but I kept thinking, this is just for us. The ceremony lasted about 15 minutes. If things you are finding are too cheesy don't use them, It's your day! Do whatever you want to and what feels right for you and Eric

    <3 KT

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun to plan your own ceremony like that! Good luck finding the right readings. I have no suggestions for you but I'm certain there are lots of bloggers who can help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My only suggestion is to bring a good umbrella to the wedding tomorrow...oh, and avoid any Yankee fans! How's that for absolutely useless info. But seriously, being a JP, I say just keep it simple and go with whatever words are near and dear to the two of you. It looks like you have some great suggestions for ceremonies and readings from your fellow bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, I'm getting stressed just reading this post! I didn't even realize you find vows online, that's crazy. I BET there are a bunch of crazy dumb ones out there, I can only imagine. I'm glad you've found some good, solid vows for your ceremony.
    Have a great Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hear you on the corny ceremonies/readings/vows. We wrote most of ours using some tidbits found here and there online. I think I have some readings saved at home but honestly, they are pretty corny. If they're presentable, I'll pass them along. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i've seen a lot of ceremony examples that people used on weddingbee like "toronto" mentioned. i haven't looked into them too much as i have no idea what i'll do, but maybe they won't be corny?

    ReplyDelete