Friday, April 24, 2009

Kelly's Favorite Things

In my quest to be healthy, I have found some really awesome things that I hope may help others. So here is my list of favorite things:

Couch to 5K

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

This running plan is designed to get beginning runners up off the couch and running a 5k! I was not actually on the couch before beginning this program (I always worked out 5-6 days a week) but I was NOT a runner. Besides being a fabulous plan with exactly the right amount of challenge, it is also different than other running plans I have seen because it does not ever say "Run 6 miles, easy." Now I realize they mean not to sprint just to run easy, but there is something ridiculous to me about "Run 6 miles" and "easy" being together in one sentence :)

Map My Run
http://www.mapmyrun.com/

If you are a runner, I bet you have been like me, driving aimlessly until your trip odometer says the number of miles you want to run that day. Then because it is such a pain to figure it out again you just stay with the same path rather than get in your car and drive around again to figure out a new 3 mile route! Enter: the new best invention, Map My Run! All you have to do is enter your town and then map your running route right on your computer. It will tell you exactly how far you already went or are going to go on your run. This will be endlessly helpful to me because I plan to do a lot of biking on the bike trial- and lets be honest I don't think the cops would appreciate the excuse that I am training for a triathlon when I tried to explain why I was driving a car down the bike trail!

30 day Shred
Okay I admit it, I am not consistent about weight training. Cardio I do, but weight training I do not do. This amazing 25 minute work out (do not be fooled by the 25 minutes) has finally got me incorporating weights in my work outs. Jillian does a 3 minute strength, 2 minute cardio and 1 minute abs circuit and has 3 different levels. But let me tell you, by Level 3 you will not know if you are doing cardio, strength or abs when you are doing jumping jacks with weights in your hands! If you want an awesome workout that is only 25 minutes (including warm up and cool down) get this! You can also find it On Demand if you have Comcast or Verizon Fios.

Trader Joe's Harvest Grain Mix
This is my new food obsession. It is made of Israeli Cous Cous, Orzo, Baby Garbanzo Beans and Red Quinoa. Sounds way to healthy to be good? Think again- it's like rice but a tiny bit crunchier, even Eric who never likes my crazy health foods has been stealing my left overs of this! I add some fish (I use tuna or haddock but I'm guessing any fish would work), veges and teriyaki sauce and I have dinner. Since Trader Joe's is pretty much the best grocery store ever, it's not shocking that they would make something so yummy!


Running Skirts
There is no use in trying to pretend that I am not girly- I admit it now. So when I read a blog about running skirts, I ran to the nearest TJ Max to try one. I LOVE IT. Now I know there is really no point in me trying to look cute while running since my face gets BRIGHT red and my hair gets insanely frizzy. However, they are not just cute- they are quite functional. Spandex are very practical when running, but I am not a huge fan of wearing tight shorts so this is the perfect compromise. I have spandex to keep my legs from rubbing but then I have a nice skirt over it so it's not so "hi look at my butt" as regular spandex. What could be better?!

5 comments:

  1. I love your list! I've never tried a running skirt, I may have to look in to it. Ditto on the shred - it's a killer! Maybe I should make a list sometime too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Map my run is one of the greatest inventions ever! I love seeing how far I've gone without having to get in my car a drive around (I've totally done it!). And Jillian...well I just have a girl crush on her. I love her and the shred. I ordered one of her new dvds and can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started the couch to 5k program and so far i'm doing well.

    My shred DVD just came in, so I'm gonna use that too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I am so glad I discovered your blog I am currently using the couch to 5k I am trying to get in shape to run my first 5k in June. and i just checked out the map your run site great resource thanks for sharing.

    http://myfirst5k-erica.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete