Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Restaurant Review: Thai Moon

The first time I ever tried any Thai food was in college. My friends and I used to go to a small restaurant called Rod Dee in Brookline. I have to admit though, I totally stuck to spring rolls and dumplings, in an effort to make my food as Chinese as possible. I tried Thai again later at Mango II in Tewksbury, and got a little more serious about my Thai food, but I still have been meaning to try it again for awhile.

This past Sunday I got coffee with my friend Timna so I could hear about her honeymoon in Thailand. Her description of delicious food secured my decision to try out Thai Moon in Arlington on Sunday night. Since it was early on a Sunday night, the restaurant was pretty dead. This ended up being great for us because we got a nice window table, perfect for people-watching.


Eric and I do not always order appetizers, but at Asian restaurants, we always want to. Eric ordered "Thai Pancakes"...
I ordered Steamed Shumai (yup, I admit I love Japanese Shumai).
Both appetizers came with a delicious (though a bit spicy) ginger sauce. Eric and I both enjoyed our appetizers, but agreed we probably would've been satisfied with just our main courses next time. Eric is also a big soup fan, so he tried the Tom Yum Chicken Soup.
For our main courses, Eric ordered Beef Curry...
...and I ordered Chicken Pad Thai (believe it or not, this major peanut butter fan has never tried Pad Thai). I am in love, it was so amazingly delicious that I continued to use it in small portions for the next two dinners I ate.
Eric was equally pleased with his curry and was excited to enjoy some leftovers the next day as well. When Eric has leftovers, you know that the portions are good. The service at Thai Moon was very attentive (though, there were only about 3 other people in the restaurant). Also, even with all the food we got, the bill only came to $40. I'm pretty sure we will be returning to this restaurant at some point in the near future.

Do you like Thai food? What's your favorite Thai dish?

10 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of the Pad Thai! It is so yummy!!! I like the dumplings too! We will have to keep this restaurant in mind. I love trying new ones but am always nervous when it comes to more "ethnic" foods. I have a serious MSG allergy but this place sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Thai food, and all those dishes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Thai food!!!! Pad Thai is basic, but YUMMM :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I haven't had thai food in so long. It's delicious, though! My fave is pad thai :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE Thai food! I'm glad you guys finally got to experience some good Thai. You each made excellent choices! I am slightly addicted to curry. I make curry EVERYTHING, and I love spice. Not good for IBS, but I can't give up spicy food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE thai food! It is just delicious! Those pics look amazing!! I used to get pad thai all the time, but now I switch it up & try to order something different every time. The good thing is that it's a really GF friendly cuisine so I have alot of options!

    ReplyDelete
  7. MMMMMM.....Pad Thai=LOVE! I am glad you finally tried it, I wouldn't know what to do without Thai food in my life. My new favorite dish is actually a tie between the Curry and the Pad See Yew which is similar to Pad Thai but thicker noodles and a different kind of sauce. I guess it's actually nothing like pad thai but I think you would like it if you liked the pad thai. Anyway, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whaaaaa... Never tried pad thai before??? That WAS a shocker!! There's this place here that makes the BEST pad thai. Super peanutty but also limey... ah, it's just the best! But, it's $20. It's worth it though...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love pad thai. MMMM. I actually tried to make my own a few weeks ago and it came out ok. We have only come across 1 great Thai restaurant here so far, but it was tough to order because the menus were in German. We got a recommendation from a friend on what to order (luckily the dishes are numbered) so that is what I got and my husband got something else. They actually brought him the wrong dish but his was amazing. Mine had fennel in it which tastes like licorice so I didn't really love it, but my sweet man traded with me half way through!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I live across the street from House of Siam in the South End. Your picture if making me crave chicken pad thai. Mmmm. I love it, and it tastes great as leftovers too!

    ReplyDelete