Saturday, November 21, 2009

Sickness Has Arrived

Ever since the school year began, my kindergarten students have been sicker than usual. I have had kids out for a week at a time, and I rarely have a day where all of my kids are at school. I know part of this is the swine hysteria making everyone careful about when they send kids to school, but there definitely has been more going around than usual. I've made it through pretty successfully with only a few short and mild colds. I have not been able to get a seasonal or swine flu vaccine because of the shortage (they are now giving it to 5 year olds, but not the teachers of 5 year olds haha). I have be making deals with God (I do this often) about not complaining if I get sick, as long as it's after Tiff's wedding (last weekend). So today, all the sicknesses finally hit me and I had my first fever in almost 5 years. I can't remember having a fever even once since I had mono in college. Now, to be honest, I had to actually buy a thermometer today to find out that I definitely had a temp, so it's possible I have had some low grade fevers but never the sweats/chills that were going on today.

The great news is, it's a Saturday so I didn't have to think at all about whether or not to go to work, what sub plans to leave, etc etc. Being a sick teacher is pretty much the most annoying thing ever and I can only imagine sub plans would be infinitely worse with a fever.

I did manage to get some quality relaxation time including watching Love Actually (absolutely love that movie, could probably watch it 100 times and not get sick of it). I also read some of Twilight, which I am attempting to read, but I think secret crazy feminist Kelly is going to end up not liking this book too much. I like my teenage girl characters to have a little more of a backbone :) But I'll withhold further judgments until I really finish the book.

Yesterday afternoon when I was starting to feel crappy but still fever free, I managed to write our entire wedding ceremony script. A few things will need to be added or edited later, but for the most part it is 100 percent done. I'm back in wedding planning mode :)

Anyway, I did kick my fevers butt with some rest and of course, Advil. But now I can slowly feel it creeping back up (and my trusty thermometer confirms it). So I'm going to take some more medicine and get to bed early. I'm hoping I can see a doctor tomorrow and they can give me some of that flu medicine. it would be awesome if for once they would actually have enough of something that healthy 25 year olds like myself could get it, but I'm sure that's unlikely. Obviously they did not see one of my kindergarten kid's tantrum the other day when I was out of the classroom for a meeting. It is for the good of all that I be will enough to go to work on Monday, haha.

I hope everyone is having a more exciting weekend than me!


11 comments:

  1. Oh no, hope you feel better soon!

    I hated Twilight and only got through the first 100 pages or so of the book. I agree, Bella drove me NUTS with how lovesick and whiny she was and I also found Stephanie Meyer to be a horrible, horrible writer and I couldn't handle that.

    Interesting fact: The first post that I EVER got over 25 comments on was one where I talked about how I HATED Twilight. People were not impressed and 95% of my commenters said they lovveed the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe Kelly, hope you get better quickly and feel better soon. Sorry I havent been around here much lately...sounds like you have got a lot done even though you were sick.

    Feel better :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope you feel better soon, and kick that fever! I read about the first 50 pages, and haven't picked it up since, nor have i seen the movie.... i was starting to wonder if i was the only female that hadn't, happy to know i'm not!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. UGHH!! fell better Kelly, s*it happens! You are so good with making healthy decisions, you'l be back to normal in no time.

    Watch some good tv ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I agree completely with you on Twilight! never change your judgement. edward stinks, lots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you feel better soon Kel! When my husband was sick we had to go out and buy a thermometer too. If I were you I would plan to be out tomorrow because it seems like this is a flu that knocks you don't for a few days.

    I did really enjoy the Twilight series, but I definitely never got the swoons for Edward. I was more of a Jacob fan.

    FELL BETTER!!!!

    <3Katie

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is exactly why I'm not interested in reading Twilight. I know the female characters will annoy me.

    I hope you feel better soon. Kids are the worst. just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you start feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. bella = idiot.. edward and alice = reason to read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Feel better soon! I love the movie Love Actually! It's one of the few movies I saw twice in the theater!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you get to feeling better soon!

    So far I'm not on the Twilight bandwagon.

    ReplyDelete