Thursday, December 10, 2009

Kinda Like a Weekend

I woke up this morning with the motivation to get some serious stuff done around the house. Even though I get to work at 6:30 every day, I am not technically late until 8:30. As a teacher you pretty much either have to get there early or stay late to get things done. I am a morning person and I have tutoring in the afternoon so I choose to get their early. However, today I do not have a ton to do at work and I DO have a ton to do at home so I figured I am going to be "late."

With some time on my hands I decided for breakfast today I would try Caitlin's Baked Banana and Goji Berry Oatmeal. I had to change a few ingredients because to be honest, I don't even know what a Goji Berry is...haha.

My ingredients were:
1/2 cup of oatmeal
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons soy milk
a few frozen blueberries
brown sugar

So I substituted blueberries for goji berries, soy milk for rice milk and left out the almonds and flax because my tummy cannot handle all that insoluble fiber in the morning. I did follow the exact baking directions from Caitlin, which included 25 minutes of baking before the brown sugar was added plus 5 more minutes after. Here is my beautiful creation:

And again...

Oh by the way, I totally stole that cute bowl from my mom last night because I don't have any oven safe bowels that I know of. Doesn't hurt that it is cute though...

Anyway, this breakfast was absolutely delicious. Caitlin had said it tasted like banana bread and it was so true. Yet, it was so much healthier than most (or all) banana bread! I will admit this is definitely more of a weekend breakfast since it took about 35 minutes to make.

However, while it was cooking I managed to do the dishes, clean the kitchen completely, start a load of laundry, pack my lunch and get myself organized for the day. So really, for a morning where I did not have a ton to get done at work, it was extremely productive.

The best part is, since this meal contained 1/2 cup of oatmeal, I'm really not worried at all about staying full. Oh, and did I mention it was DELICIOUS? I highly recommend trying it this weekend. I wish I could come up with such amazing ideas on my own. But at least I have other fantastic bloggers to do it for me. What did I do before blogs?

Anyway, I hope everyone has a great Thursday and if you haven't yet, please check out last night's post on Calming Down, I want to hear what you do to calm down. We all need some tips every once in awhile...


13 comments:

  1. Looks great! Hope you have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm, your motivation helped you make an AWESOME breakfast! :) Yum. I'm so obsessed with oats now, I never thought I would be.

    To calm down, I just breath. It helps.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - productive morning! Good for you. I can never seem to get out of bed until the last possible moment.

    Breakfast sounds yummy. Hopefully you can keep that bowl because it's ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That sounds yummy! I might have to try that this weekend! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have trouble getting up in the morning - sounds like you had quite a productive day - all before I woke up.

    I love baked oatmeal - sometimes I make it and throw it in the oven while I shower and get dressed. Breakfast is ready when I get out.

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm that oatmeal looks SO good. I definitely plan on trying it during my time off!

    I'm totally a morning person too. I love getting things done in the morning and at night I just want to veg on the couch! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE oatmeal! I make it pretty much every morning - it does take longer, but I think it's worth it since you stay full for so much longer!

    That's awesome you were able to get so much done while they cooked!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum yum! I eat oatmeal quite a bit so it's neat finding new ways to cook it! I'm feeling a little oaty now so maybe I'll try it for dinner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this does look like a great breakfast! I've never tried baking my oats, unless it's for apple crisp, but what a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks like a delicious and filling breakfast. I bought some gluten free oatmeal and have been meaning to come up w/ some breakfast options - might have ot make this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that looks great! I guess i better find an oven safe bowl...

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an adorable bowl!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it :D My friend just gave me some new bowls which are adorable, but I don't have any shaped like that... so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good looking oatmeal and bowl!

    http://katiechangesforkatie.blogspot.com/2009/12/mia-photo-update-new-contest-happy.html

    New blog post + new music! New giveaway tomorrow. Woop woop!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete