Saturday, June 20, 2009

Saturday Ramblings

Good morning everybody! I am exhausted today because for some weird reason I could not sleep last night. For normal people this would not be bad since I didn't have to wake up this morning, but of course my internal clock went off at 6:30 and I tossed and turned until 7 and then just got up. I'm glad it's the weekend though.

Last night I had a retirement party for a teacher at my school who has worked there for 30 years! Wow! This guy is a fabulous teacher. It was quite an inspiring party because he is the type of teacher that you want to be like. If only I could stop being driven crazy by kids, I swear I'd be that type of teacher, haha. I need some more patience.

On Thursday night Eric and I hit up our favorite hole in the wall Chinese restaurant. Normally I do not eat leftovers because I figure I shouldn't have unhealthy food multiple times in a row. This time I really wanted leftovers so I decided to add some summer squash and mushrooms to make my leftovers healthier. Made for a delicious lunch :)
Yesterday I also tested out my newly improved work out space. Eric got me a TV for the treadmill room for my birthday and it's all set up and ready. I can't run still, so I decided to walk on the treadmill.
This morning Caroline and I went for a bike ride. I was struggling a bit because of the lack of sleep last night. We biked for 58 minutes and did 12.46 miles. So that's about an average of 12 miles per hour...too lazy to do the math out. That basically means that even though I felt like I was barely moving, we were going about the same speed we have been doing on our other rides.

So the triathlon I was supposed to be training for is less than a month away and I have no idea what to do. I can't tell if PT is helping or not, I thought it definitely wasn't but it does seem to be improving a little bit. So the way I see it I have a couple of options from here:

1. Give up on doing a triathlon in July immediately. If I do this, I will probably take a few weeks off biking as well and see if that helps. I don't know what cardio I will do?

2. Continue to train biking and swimming and see how the knee is a couple of weeks before so I can maybe start running again and still do it.

3. Continue training biking and swimming and start running again. I know this seems like a bad idea, but I would obviously be very careful about it. Plus if stopping running is not helping at all, what's the point?

Would love to hear any opinions on which of these you think I should do. I have a ridiculously long car ride today by myself to think about that, 3 hours total for a bridal shower. I don't think I've ever mentioned on this blog before but I am not a fan of bridal showers. I know girl time is important in life, but so many of my friends are not friends with each other, I'd appreciate being able to bring Eric so I know one person. Plus, that would make this car ride a lot less painful! The other thing I don't like is that they don't tend to have alcohol at them. Now I actually don't drink a lot at ALL, but if I have to go to a party where I don't know anyone- at least give me a glass of wine. That doesn't even begin to touch on how boring it is to watch people open presents haha. But, the girl who this bridal shower is for has definitely helped me get through 3 years of teaching kindergarten, so she deserves an hour and a half commute there and back. I am sure she'd do it for me. Plus she hates bridal showers too haha, so at least I know she is not enjoying torturing me. She promises to have an assembly line for the present opening so things move quickly, but at a 120 person shower, who knows!
I'll be back tonight or tomorrow, have a great weekend :)

5 comments:

  1. Oh man, in my opinion I wouldn't push it, because it would be awful if you got worse and couldn't workout for months!! Sometimes you just have to admit to yourself that you just can't do something...it's hard, but it usually ends up being the best decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, that's a hard decision. If it's painful to run the entire time you are running, then that's a sign to back off and stick to the bike or swimming. Just listen to your body...you know what's best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and I agree, bridal showers without alcohol is not very nice to the guests! Hello! We are the ones who have to sit there and watch someone open gifts of flatware, and play silly games. I will probably need to be drinking alcohol at my own bridal shower! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope the bridal shower goes well. I hate long car rides!

    If it were me, I'd lean towards option number 2. But be really careful--I don't want you to seriously hurt yourself! Good luck with your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd go with option 2. Don't totally give up, but be cautious.

    Do you see yourself as a teacher in 5-10 years? It's such a hard job. My friend taught middle school for several years, but then got her library certification and switched to that. She liked it much better.

    ReplyDelete