Monday, June 22, 2009

Light from Within

STOP RAINING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry. I am just so sick of raining I might cry.

But actually I'm in a shockingly positive mood. Well, probably it's positive because tomorrow is my last day of school and then I have the rest of the week off before my summer job officially begins. I have big plans to hang out with friends from work tomorrow night, chill at the Cape with Eric for the rest of the week and then go to NYC on Saturday for a fabulous bachelorette party. So basically despite the rain, I am very happy right now.

Today was the end of the year concert, kindergarten slideshow and then "picnic"- of course this year the rain did not make for much of a picnic, but oh well. At least all of that is over, so all I have to get through is a half day with the kids and then cleaning up the room (which I am mostly going to make the kiddos do anyways).

As for triathlon training, things are up and down for me right now. As of this weekend I was thinking I should not do it at all. I was also going to stop swimming and biking for a bit to see if that helped my knee. Now today, I am really doing well with my PT exercises and I am just not ready to give up yet. I was thinking that there is no way I could bust out a 5k after swimming and biking without training, but now I am thinking that the worse thing that happens is I have to walk. Yes, I probably will then finish last but at this point I'd just be happy to be able to do it, even if I am last. I'm not saying I am definitely going to do the triathlon, but I am going to go with option #2 (I think it was #2...the one where I continue to train and see how things get a bit closer). Of course I say a bit closer like there is not only 3 weeks left! So that is where I stand right now. Thanks everyone for the advice on what you think I should do, I think the general consensus was to keep training, but be careful and I think that is ultimately what I am planning to do.

On one final note of excitement, last night we went to my parents house for Father's Day and my mom's birthday (which is tomorrow). I forgot that we hadn't really gotten around to celebrating my birthday because of my brother's graduation and an overall crazy month of June. My mom surprised me with a very KELLY cake.
As we all know I have lots of annoying dietary restrictions and one of them is I cannot really eat cake. Sure I have a bite here and there, but if I eat a whole piece of cake I feel very sick after. One thing I can eat is Edy's 1/2 the fat ice cream. So my mom found an Edy's ice cream called "Take the Cake" and molded it into a cake shape. We found these awesome candles at Christmas Tree Shop on Memorial Day weekend but I actually thought I had the one that said my name- apparently not though because it was sitting on top of my awesome cake. I ate almost the whole thing and it was absolutely amazing (don't worry, there was a normal cake for everyone else).

I leave you with... "People are like stained glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within." I know it's a bit dramatic, but I need some light from within right now, because there certainly is not any outside. I hope it's sunny and beautiful where you are! (and also, can you tell me where you are so I can get there?)

16 comments:

  1. wow what kind of food issues do you have girl? i thought i was bad, but i can eat some homemade cakes at least. i feel for you, i have plenty of special-diet needs myself and eating is just not that much fun!

    for the tri training - i know you said you could just walk the 5k and then at least you will have finished the race. i think you should wait... there will be another tri that you can compete in with full-strength and health, and finish with a strong sprint across the finish line instead of a hobble. i imagine you're competitive spirit would kick in and the chances of overdoing it would increase, making the injury worse. that's just my point of view - i know i'm too competitive to not want to give it an all-out effort. the decision is yours though, and i can also understand wanting to go ahead with it - no matter how you might feel at the end. good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're tired of rain, I would stay far, far away from NYC. We might as well be Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you get some sunshine soon! But yay to the fact that your summer starts soon. It sounds like you've got some fun plans. And if you do the tri, it's totally fine if you need to walk the 5k. Just completing it is a huge accomplishment!

    That is such a cute idea with the ice cream cake. And that take the cake ice cream is so good.

    You could come to Michigan--it's currently sunny, but ya never know! This weather changes instantly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet surprise from your mom! :D
    It rained real hard yesterday here in Japan but the sun is out today. It is hot AND humid though. :s
    Yay for being in a positive mood! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. SOrry to hear you are frustrated with your injuring and training. I hope all starts looking up for you soon!

    Great cake! Mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you're picking option 2. I think it's a good choice.

    I can't believe how late your school ends. Do all of the Boston area schools end that late? The schools in MN ended a week or two ago. In AZ, the schools end in mid-May. I graduated high school on May 19. But they start the second week of August.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cuuuute ice cream cake! And it's been cloudy and rainy here in the inland northwest, too, so I can't help you there. Sigh. Maybe tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cute of your mom to make you a little cake flavoured ice cream cake!
    ps I am reading 19 minutes right now too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so nice of your mom! so that's an ice cream cake?? wow! I guess I'm unsure about your dietary restrictions. I think I remember you mentioning them before, but I forget, is it gluten you don't eat?

    Have fun at the bachelorette party! NYC?? I'm so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously, what is up with the rain!?!? I'm totally with you on the tri stuff. I injured my hip training for a 10k in May, which has prevented me from doing any run training, especally any running after all the swimming and biking business. I'm scared I may end up walking too. But meh, in the end it won't matter if we walked a little, the only thing we'll remember is that we did a triathlon :D

    That is the BEST cake ever, I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. such a cute cake idea! : ) have you tried any wheat-free products? those might bug your stomach less

    im hatin on the rain right now.. i think the entire North East should be given free Vit D pills or Prozac.. something!!

    ohhhh that book Nineteen Minutes- SO GOOD! have you finished it yet?? i couldnt put it down. by the end i was bawling- it really makes you think about these kids and what they go through. i could go on and on all day long about the effects of early childhood on teens and adults. then again- also makes you remember about the family they leave behind.. oh.. again so amazing! ok i'll stop babbling now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a good plan to continue moving forward with caution. Good luck!

    It's hot & sunny here in Toronto! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! I was directed here from the Cadid RD. Cute blog! I can't wait to read more about you.... especially your adventures with your kindergartners. Anyway, just wanted to say hi and comment on your sweet mom! Great looking cake!!!
    -A

    ReplyDelete
  14. ohhh i gotcha on the oil and butter in the cake! well at least ice cream cake is still an option for you! i would rather have that!

    enjoy the book- haunting ending.. i think it will make you sad though- better hide that from the fiance!!

    cant wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally get how you would be sick of the rain...Last summer, we literally had rain EVERY DAY. I'm not even kidding. Even if it was just a few drops. It was so depressing, and then we went right into fall and winter without any real summer!!!

    What an awesome cake, it's so sweet of your mom!

    ReplyDelete