Wednesday, April 14, 2010

My Body Is Amazing

Thanks for all your comments about my car. I'm glad to hear others are abnormally attached to their vehicles. So far I love the new one so hopefully I will love it even more in the end :)

Tonight I had a bit of a change of schedule so I ended up attending an hour of power (aka great for my attention span) yoga tonight. I am trying to "train" my body for the 31 yoga classes I am going to try to take in the month of May. Tonight in class I was simply impressed with my body.

There are a lot of things my body can't do:

I can't run a marathon (or even run a mile at the moment).

I can't do a split (or even touch my toes very easily).

I can't do a pilates roll up without some serious momentum.

I can't eat foods that hurt my tummy.

But, I'm still impressed...

Last week when I went back to hot yoga for the first time in several months, I woke up the next day and my entire body was sore. The second time I went (equally hard class), I was barely sore at all. Talk about quick adaptation.

Last summer my body finished a sprint triathlon even though I couldn't run for almost 2 months before it. Talk about pushing through it.

When I was a kid my body allowed me to ice skate, rollerblade, bike, swim, jump, hit tennis balls off the garage, dance, jump on my bed, and who knows what else.

Now my body allows me to keep up with 5 and 6 year olds all day, to hang out and do fun things with my family and friends, and try all sorts of new work outs whenever my mind gets bored. It allows me to eat yummy foods, go on fun trips and somehow avoid catching the illnesses of 21 kindergarten kids.

Pretty impressive, don't you think?

What does your body do that impresses you?


19 comments:

  1. Haha at the moment not much, but come Monday it better impress me with a decent marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive for sure!

    Not a day goes by that I am not amazed that my body has kept up with my running ambitions. I will be grateful for that to continue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My body carried me through THREE half-marathons. I need to remind myself of that when I'm having "fat" days - which I'm having a lot of lately. Stupid stress eating!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yesterday I ran with my friend Jill and on the way home, I did a few sprints. Normally I don't run fast at all or push myself to the point where I feel like I literally cannot run faster, but for those few brief sprints I did and it felt good. I felt FAST!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My body has run a marathon (well, walked/run it) and ran 5 half-marathons!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very impressed! :) And yes, our bodies are definitely designed to do great things...no matter what that great feat is.

    ~Kati

    ReplyDelete
  7. My body has bounced back from some serious injuries! Top amongst them would have to be my second degree ligament tear on my right ankle. Basically, I have scarcely any ligaments holding my ankle in place. It's mainly scar tissue that was massaged to mimic the ligaments.

    And still I run.

    Not fast. But I run. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great, positive post! We should all spend more time thinking about what are bodies can do instead of what they can't. My body has run a half marathon and is now growing a baby. Doesn't get more amazing than that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do think that's impressive! I really should try yoga sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's such a great attitude to have. We should all be proud of our bodies when we accomplish a fitness goal :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post! I'm having a rough week, and it made me feel better about myself - thanks :)

    I'm always amazed at my body when I'm running. Sometimes, I feel that it will do whatever I ask of it. That's a pretty great feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am amazed at how I can start to see some tiny arm muscles coming through! And I can run 3 miles. Body, you do me proud! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. very impressed! im impressed that my body hasnt fallen apart the many injuries ive had--it heals and keeps on truckin!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Look at all those wonderful things your body can do! And it will only get stronger and more flexible over time! My body can keep me healthy when everyone around me is sick - I'd call that an accomplishment! (And also a diet heavy in fruits and veges ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post Kelly! That's really cool that you will be doing 31 days of yoga in May. My body carried me through 4 awesome miles today. After a few less than stellar runs, I needed it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My body impresses me by always bouncing back even when I give it junk.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My body finished a marathon. And God willing, it will finish a 2nd. After i ran the marathon, I sort of lost sight of how big of an accomplishment that was. Now that enough time has passed, the weight of it has hit me again. And I can't wait to do another one!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think it's super impressive!!

    I think it's amazing that my body allows me to run 9 miles in one shot (and hopefully more). And I definitely think it's amazing that it doesn't quit on me when I make it endure 45 min-75 min long spin classes :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh and I also think it's kind of amazing that my feet allow me to wear heels. Ever. lol!

    ReplyDelete