Saturday, February 25, 2012

Hiking Those Redrocks

I'm home! I had high hopes for my Saturday morning: sleeping late because I'm still on Arizona time, going to the Saturday hours at my doctor's office to get a couple of tests I need to be fasting for (nothing bad, I've had high liver enzymes for awhile so my doctor is just monitoring it basically) and cleaning up the house. Well, the sun shining in at 7:00 crashed away my hopes of sleeping late and I woke up feeling like I got run over by a plane... or maybe just like I was in a car and on a plane all day yesterday. I figured if I feel like butt my blood tests would probably look terrible and suddenly I'd have even more issues to deal with, so I'll just wait until tomorrow for that. Yes, this office is open on Sunday morning too... AMAZING. And it's near Pinkberry, which conveniently opens at 10am. Life is good.


Since I'm up and trying to catch up on the 96% full DVR, I figure I should blog more about the trip! After our day trip up to the Grand Canyon, we decided to spend some quality time in Sedona on Tuesday. We started with a morning hike up Cathedral Rock. This is one of my favorite Sedona hikes and I would probably do it weekly if I lived there. It's short, but steep so you really feel like you accomplished something. In Eric's family, when you accomplish something, a beer toast is involved...




IMG_3222.JPG


IMG_3227.JPG


The view from the top is a pretty good reward also...


IMG_3232.JPG




IMG_3233.JPG


Cathedral Rock is a bit of a steep hike and there was some worry from our crew that the way down would be a huge challenge, but it's really not so bad. If you are ever in Sedona, you have to do this hike. That is all.


Another must-do in Sedona is a Pink Jeep tour. We recommend the Broken Arrow Tour, which Eric and I have now done three times! Every time we go, we learn new interesting info about Sedona and this time our tour guide was a photography expert as well, what more could I ask for? She was probably one of the only people I've handed my camera to who was not immediately overwhelmed. Let the photo shots begin...


IMG_3243.JPG


IMG_3246.JPG




IMG_3251.JPG


IMG_3266.JPG


I probably should've left all the photography up to our fabulous guide Ray, because when I tried to get a jumping shot of Eric, he ended up landing on some uneven ground and bruising his heel.


IMG_3297.JPG


Actually, judging by this picture it's kind of lucky all he hurt was his heel... I should not be trusted with a camera.


I swear we were actually in a jeep for some of the adventure:




IMG_3323.JPG


Sedona is the best place ever. Really. I always come back from these trips all psyched up about hiking and then I just NEVER do it at home. This year will not be like that. I WILL do some awesome Boston hikes this year. Hold me to it.


I'll be back tomorrow with the recap of the last two days of our trip! We visited a cool town built into the side of a mountain and we went on my top favorite Sedona hike. Wahoo :) Let's hope I am super productive until then!


Do you do any hiking near your home? Where is your favorite place to hike?



5 comments:

  1. We have a local nature center that has a lot of easy hiking trails that we try to do a few times a month in the summer. We also have a few other county parks that have trails we can hike that I want to check out this summer. Mosquitoes usually keep me from trying them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is really no 'real' hiking in my area. The trails are pretty flat. But there is great hiking in Northern MN, i just never go because i never have anyone to go with. Funny that i will go to Paris alone, but won't drive 2.5 hours to hike alone!

    My favorite place to hike is probably Steamboat Springs, CO. I spent 2 winter breaks and a summer there when I was in college and the hiking in the summer was awesome!

    Looks like a great trip! You have me convinced to go to Sedona. I just don't know when i will make it back to AZ, though! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you made it home safe! I love the photos, I'm closing my eyes and pretending I'm there too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun! Such pretty pictures : ) I love hiking, there must be lots around the greater boston area

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh, so beautiful!!

    We have TONS of hiking around Kamloops. I have done a lot of hiking and trail running over the last 3.5 years of living here and haven't even covered 1/4 of the trails around here I bet. I love living in an area with great hiking and trails nearby!

    ReplyDelete