Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Why I Love Blogging- Part 2

I got a ton of great feedback on my last post about Why I love Blogging. Now that I have been blogging for longer I have even more ideas, so here is Part 2.

Blogging teaches me what it is like to live in other places. I have only lived in Boston and Sydney (for 6 months), so it’s fun to see how people celebrate Thanksgiving outside in warmer climates, or travel on planes to get to hospitals in some parts of Canada! I even have learned (somewhat) what it might be like to live in a country that does not speak English. I have always lived by a big city, but Lisa can tell me what it’s like to grow up in a town with a population smaller than my high school.

On the same note, blogging keeps me aware of what is happening in other parts of the country and the world. Florida is having a cold front? I know about it. You have to have a special driver’s license to drive in Germany? Yup, Katie can tell me all about it!

Blogging encourages me to travel more. Eric and I love to travel, but it’s hard to motivate myself to blow hard earned money when so many essentials have to be paid for. However, reading all the blogs about different places and travel, remind me of the importance, and joy, in seeing new places and having new experiences.

Blogging also helps me have more fun where I do live. I read about restaurants that other Boston bloggers go to and I decide I want to try them. I learn about cool things like Groupon that help me save money on fun things to do in my area of the world. I love getting new ideas about stuff I may want to do in the future.

Blogging holds me accountable for my goals. Even if you guys don’t really care if I limit my ice cream intake, I am much more likely to stick to a goal if I know I have to report you. Plus, I feel more motivated if I am also at the same time motivating someone else :)

Blogging helps me to hear and understand new perspectives. I think, in life, we tend to have family and friends who agree with many of our perspectives in life, at least the very big ones. In blogging, we may choose to read any blog, even if it is someone with a totally different background and set of beliefs than you. Often times, it is people you DO agree completely with, and it’s nice to know that others share your thoughts. Plus it's nice to know there are people out there who actually enjoy wedding planning :) Or that some people have lots of tummy issues like me!

Blogging helps me get lots of ideas for books I want to read, and the motivation to make time for pleasure reading. Whenever I make time for pleasure reading I feel more relaxed. In a way, blog reading is like pleasure reading!

I love chatting with people and reading about the lives of those who are in different phases of life than me. So many moms, so many college kids :) But it's also fun to read about fellow teachers.

Blogging helps me keep in touch with friends and family that read it. Of course I would never want a blog to replace actually time spent connecting with these people, but it’s nice to know they have some idea what I’ve been up to. I love reading my sister’s blog for this reason. Even if I don’t have time to talk to her that day, I have some idea what she has been up to or thinking about.

*I read so many more blogs than I could possibly list in this post, so don't be offended if I didn't link to yours. I love all the blogs I read, that's why I read them :)

Why do you love blogging? What got you hooked in the first place? Is there anything that you have just recently realized you love about blogging?

20 comments:

  1. I love blogging for all these reasons as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't remember what life was like before blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo for blogging. I like this post a lot. Well-written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great reasons! some I didnt even think about, but are definitely true!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE connecting with people. I LOVE healthy living blogs because they've given me SO many amazing ideas for new foods/meals to try!

    I just love blogging all around, it's mostly for the amazing people that I have met and that I connect with everyday though!

    I also love the conversation part of it. I love writing posts that not only get a lot of comments, but get a lot of THOUGHTFUL comments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. all of the abvove.. :) I really like reading book blogs for lots of different opinions, teacher blogs for advice and every other blog cuz im a stalker..;) quick question. i am going to make the plunge and make a teacher blog.. do you like wordpress or blogspot better?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Post, Kelly! I love it! Blogging is wonderful and I love learning so many different things from such a wide variety of bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post :) And you make such good points too!!! I think one of the most important for me is the fact that it keeps me accountable. With the blog (and me reading others, and people reading mine), I feel like there is NO way that I would ever fall off the wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow -that was SO creative! Thanks for the link :) Tomorrow I'll be posting about local gelato you'll have to try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I love blogging because of the sense of community.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome post... and I agree with all of it. I learn SO much from my bloggy friends. I feel so worldly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this post is INCREDIBLE!!! you have perfectly articulated everything I love about blogging!!! Thanks so much for the linkage girl - you are the sweetest :) love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is such a cool post! Thanks for linking back to me! here's another small town factoid to blow your mind - my graduating class had 28 people in it, and we were one of the biggest classes in YEARS! Wrap your head around that one.

    Anyways, I learned about blogging through Matt Logelin's blog, which is pretty popular (http://www.mattlogelin.com/). His wife died the day after their baby was born and the blog is the story of everything that has happened since. His story was heart wrenching but he shared it in such a beautiful way... so that hooked me. Then I went to France for 3 weeks & set up a blog to keep family/friends informed on what I was doing, and the rest is history!

    I love the creative outlet blogging provides. I love the friends, like you, that I am meeting. I love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a great post! and what a nice surprise to click on the motivating link and see myself :) thanks. ya did help motivate me, i worked out like crazy for three weeks with that elliptical challenge. and today i went back to the gym for the first time in over a week, wahoo!
    i love blogging because it's an opportunity to connect with people who share my interests or are on a similar journey or who are just plain nice! i love reading other people's blogs and getting a snapshot of their world; it helps me see mine in a new light. and i love writing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your reasons are all so true, and similar to mine. Even as an RD I'm learning from others with "tummy issues" :) I sometimes learn more from other people than they learn from me! And yes, i love to be able to interact with people who live in other states/countries, and who have totally different backgrounds. It's so fun! It's like I get to dive into other people's lives for a minute or so each day (or I guess now, every other day for me!). It truly has been what I needed. And, I'm so happy to get to know everyone (including YOU!!).

    Have a great day Kelly :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that it helps us learn... all the things you mentioned, and keeps us motivated! I just love the community and support :)

    I love that I can find someone else struggling with the same things as me and it makes me feel less alone.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was such a fun post to read! I really want to do one of these on my own. I just love the friendships I've made from blogging, the advice I've been given, and how therapeutic blogging has been for me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful post! I agree blogging has really been an enriching experience! I love it because it makes being a picky eater a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very well said! :)

    I first fell in love with blogging because I liked looking at my own pictures and the posts I had created. Everyone needs to be his or her own biggest fan!

    ReplyDelete
  20. this is so fun :) i am not offended at all girl, if you linked to everyone this post would probably freeze up my computer trying to load!

    i enjoy blogging for many reasons you gave, but i think my favorite is the "journal" aspect of it for myself.

    ReplyDelete