Sunday, February 14, 2010

Guest Post: The Inside Info on Kelly

Hey everybody! It's Kelly's sister, Caroline, here from BostonRunner! I jumped at the chance to do another guest post for Kelly because last time I hadn't even started my own blog! Now I feel better prepared to take on the responsibility of guest posting : )

Lately, I've been noticing (especially because more and more bloggers have been partaking in some version or another of twenty questions) that although I read people's blogs every day, I sometimes hardly know anything about them! So today I wanted to write a post about what it's like to be Kelly's sister :) Although Kelly is very personal on her blog and shares a lot about her self, I thought it would be interesting to show Kelly from another perspective.

The story always goes that when Kelly found out I was a girl she started dancing on a table, so excited that she had a little sister. But if she had only known how much of a devil child I would turn out to be, she probably wouldn't have been dancing. Kelly is five years older than me, which when you're younger is a big age difference. I also have a brother who is only two years younger than me and growing up we were very close, but also very immature. We would drive Kelly nuts while she was in middle school and high school, singing the phone numbers of guys she knew or running around her room when she was on the phone. I would have hated us if I were her!

But then suddenly, everything changed. I was in seventh grade and Kelly was senior in high school and we really started to bond, going for long rollerblading trips and talking about everything from boys to college. Now, nine years later, I consider us more as friends than sisters. I feel weird when I don't hear from her at least once in a day and there is never an important decision of mine made before consulting with her first.

So what's it like to have a sister like Kelly? You have an endless listener to complain to, no matter how ridiculous you are being. You have someone who is older, wiser, and more experienced who can provide a fresh perspective from your normal friends. Someone who motivates you to try Triathlons, yoga and to start a blog. You have a whole other closet of clothes to steal. Someone to look up to, follow in their footsteps, help you figure out how you want to live your life. Did you know I almost switched into the School of Education at my college? Looking back it was probably because Kelly made teaching seem so awesome.

Being more easy going and sociable, Kelly is a good balance for my quiet and conservative personality. She helps me to see things from another perspective, encourages me to try new things, take risks and break out of my shell. Kelly is not only a considerate and caring sister, but she is a great friend, willing to go out of her way for others.. which you probably have figured out from her blog posts! But what I most look up to about Kelly is her optimistic attitude about everything. She always knows how to look at the good side of every situation and constantly recognizes how lucky she is for her family, friends and life. I have a lot to learn from my big sister.

This was good practice for the looming bridesmaid speech I have to write in a few months! haha :)


Do you have any siblings? Are you close with them? Was there ever a time when you weren't?

Do you like to read blogs better that are more personal or more information? How do you approach this with your blog?

PS. Anything else you want to know about Kelly, go here to ask her any question you want! Kelly will be blogging from Arizona but if you want to follow her as she travels there, try Twitter.

12 comments:

  1. I really like this post! It was so sweet. I am the oldest of three sisters. I am 23, and they are 22 and 17. We are really close now, and my 22 year-old sister is probably my best friend, but we weren't always this close. We fought A LOT growing up, and it took probably until I was in 11th or 12th grade for us to become so close.

    While I enjoy reading blogs for information purposes, I love when the blogger incorporates their personal life in the mix. Even if I don't know the person in real-life, I am just generally interested in what other people's lives are like. I try to do the same with my blog, even though it's more personal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was always sooo glad I my brother ended up being a boy instead of the sister I wanted when I was growing up. I could only imagine how annoying it would have been, not that a younger brother wasn't annoying itself, but we had different interests and friends and never were in the same school after elementary so we had seperate lives. However, now I wish I had a sister to have a relationship with. Though, who knows if we would. My brother and I surely do not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, I only have one younger brother and we're not super close! I've always wished I had a sister.

    Great post, Caroline. SO cool that you guys are so close even with a big age difference!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on the guest post, Caroline!

    Yes, I have two younger sisters, 3 and 6 years younger than me. I am close to both, but very close to my sister that is only 3 years younger than me!

    I love to read blogs that have a bit of personal information as well as informational stuff... I like it all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. that was a great post! i have four sisters and this is a subject close to my heart.

    the "original crew" as i think of them are the two sisters i grew up with. one is 7 years older than me and one is 3 years younger than me. the younger one and i looked up to the older one so much when we were little; she was almost like a second mother to us. now that we are all (well) over 30 the age difference is barely noticeable. they are both wonderful inspring women and i am proud to call them my best friends as well as my sisters.

    the "new crew" are from my dad's second marriage. i barely know them at all because dad and his wife settled overseas. they are in elementary school, so very young and cute as buttons. but after prodding my dad into getting it set up, now the older one and i email each other at least once a week. it's so fun to get to know the "new crew" this way and it brings back my own childhood and memories of growing up with the "original crew."

    ReplyDelete
  6. and yes, i much prefer to read a blog that includes personal information. maybe i'm nosy? :) but it makes the blog so much more interesting and gives a context to the information being shared.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a sweet post! Sisters are the best and it sounds like each of you really got a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post!!! You two make a great pair :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have 4 siblings - 2 older brothers, an older sister, and a younger sister. Our relationships have all changed as we've gotten older. I've definitely gotten closer to each of them as I've gotten older & matured a bit... The relationship that has changed the most is the one with my little sister - she is 7 years younger than me and for the longest time I was the over bearing, over opinionated sister who tried to butt in a little bit too much. I have backed off considerably over the last year or so, and it has done wonders for our friendship! We are now the best of friends - never thought we'd be as close as we now are!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, cute post.

    I have a brother and sister that are 10 and 12 years younger than me. So we didn't really get close until probably 5 years ago.

    I like it when blogs are more personal. I like to feel like I know the blogger. (That wasn't supposed to sound creepy!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a heartfelt, and beautiful post! Yes, your speech at Kelly's wedding will be fantastic, I wish I could hear it.

    I always wanted a sister. You two share such a special bond, it's rare, you're both very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always wished I had a sister. It's so nice that you both are so close. I do have a brother, and because there are 6 years between us, we weren't so close growin gup. But now that we are both adults, we are much closer. It's a nice shift int he relationship.

    ReplyDelete