Friday, January 4, 2013

The More That You Read...

"The more that you read

The more things that you will know

The more that you learn

The more places you'll go" -Dr. Seuss

Perhaps this Dr. Seuss quote links my loves for reading and traveling? 

I stole this fun 2012 book stats from Emily. If you do not participate in our awesome blogger book club yet, you really should make it your New Year's Resolution :) 

Kelly's Book Stats 2012

How many books read in 2012? 50, on the dot. 

How many fiction and non fiction? 41 fiction, 9 nonfiction. I fully admit I prefer fiction. 

Male/Female author ratio? 13 male, 37 female. I swear this is not on purpose. Perhaps I need to take more book recommendations from Eric?   

Favorite book of 2012? Well, favorite author of 2012 is definitely Sarah Jio. I loved, loved Violets of March, The Bungalow and Blackberry Winter. All amazing books. 

Least favorite? Probably 50 Shades of Grey, only book I gave 2 stars all year. Even that wasn't as bad as I expected it to be...

Any that you simply couldn’t finish and why? I picked up and put down the book Room several times. Technically I did not finish it in 2012, but I actually did finish it on January 1st 2013. I ended up liking it, it just took me a bit of effort to get into! 

Longest and shortest book titles?  11/22/63 was the longest at 849 pages, yikes! The 7th Month was an especial by Lisa Gardner and was only 71 pages, so that has to be the shortest. 

How many books from the library? I would guess close to half, maybe more- I didn't pay for many books this year. 

How many books read did I purchase? Not many… I would guess 3 or 4? 

How many were gifts? I don't think any… 

How many were given to me for reviews? None

How many books read on kindle? I would say probably 45 or so. I love my Kindle. 

Any re-reads? The Great Gatsby was the only re-read this year. 

Which countries did you go to through the page in your year of reading? Germany, England, Australia, France, Italy, Yemen, Bora Bora, Czech, and an undisclosed country in South America (seriously- I can't figure out what country State of Wonder took place in?)

Which book wouldn’t you have read without someone’s specific recommendation? I probably would not have read 11/22/63 without my friend Sarah's recommendation, but it was really good so I'm glad I did. I actually read a lot of random books this year that I wouldn't have found without a recommendation! 


Instead of doing my Top 10 book events, I'm going to do my Top 12 Books in 2012, in case you want some ideas for books to read this year: 
 
 
 
2012book12012book22012book32012book42012book52012book62012book72012book82012book9
2012book102012book122012book11
 
 
What were your favorite books in 2012? 

8 comments:

  1. Oo, there are a couple of books on your list that I have not read! I will have to add those to my never ending list of TBR books!

    I might do this meme as well as it's fun to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 50 books?! Impressive!
    I need to re-read the Great Gatsby too. I read it in HS and wasn't into it because we had a deadline (I hated deadlines!). I'm sure I would like it more in a more relaxed environment, with no tests!

    I am reading Night Circus right now. Great book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this on Emily's blog, and I think I will have to do it, too! Peer pressure! ;)

    My favorites were definitely Sarah Jio and John Green!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing these recommendations! I really do not read enough (I don't know why) so I'm looking for some good reads for this year.

    I think my favorite read from 2012 was Gone Girl. Couldn't put it down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only books I read on your top 12 were The Hunger Games. Thanks for the other ideas! I am always looking for a good read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow 50 books...AWESOME!! I want to be part of the book club!!! I am dying to read more this year.

    Bossypants and Hunger Games were pretty awesome. I started reading Silver Linings Playbook, but never finished maybe because of timing (work has gone crazy) or because I couldnt get into it. Others have liked it, so you might want to check that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm fairly certain that I am going to need to re-read The Great Gatsby this year before the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that quote!!! That is a TON of books you read this year, wow. I think I read like 20? I love reading but I'm very slow and usually only make time for 20-30 minutes of reading a day, unless it's a REALLY good book then I make time to read it quickly :) I just picked up the Great Gatsby with one of my Christmas gift cards and I'm looking forward to reading it. I've never read it before!

    ReplyDelete