This Thursday is my 6 week postpartum appointment, which means that assuming all is well I'll be cleared to work out again. I know I will experience a whole new level of challenges as I get back into a workout routine, but I figure motivation should not be one of them. I don't have any illusions that I'm going to be doing hardcore exercise 6 days a week, but I do have some definite goals.
I should also mention, the doctor said it was okay for me to resume walking and yoga when I felt ready, so I've already been walking with Max and I went to my first yoga class this past Sunday. Yoga went really well- it was so much easier than doing it with a huge stomach in the way! When it has been nice enough to get outside, walking has gone well too. But yesterday I decided to walk on the treadmill and I realized just HOW slow I really have to walk at the moment. So, that was a good reality check about just how slowly I'm going to have to take things in the next few weeks or possibly longer. In case you are wondering what I mean by slow… I walked for 20 minutes and did not make it a mile. So slow :)
Short Term Fitness Goals
1. Walk 4 times per week. I'm hoping at least 2 of these walks can be done outside, but I also have a treadmill in my house so this is the type of thing I can do with Max in the Ergo or sitting nearby in his Rock and Play :) I imagine most of my walks will be about 20 minutes long, and slow.
2. Swim 1-2 times per week, assuming the doctor clears me for this. I'm not too worried about getting back into swimming since I swam regularly throughout pregnancy. However, the logistics of swimming will be more difficult because I obviously do not have a pool in my house (though that would be amazing!). I'll try to get one swim in on the weekend when Eric is home and then another either after school or when my mom watches Max.
3. Yoga 1 time per week. Again, physically this should be fine but logistically a bit more difficult. However, there is always at home yoga for weeks I can't make it to the studio. There is also Baby and Me yoga that I want to try.
Next Month or So
1. Begin a super slow version of Couch to 5K. By that I mean, I'll probably only do it 2x per week, and I may repeat some weeks if necessary. I'm really not sure how running is going to go so I'll just be flexible with this goal.
2. Slowly resume some core exercises, again- if I'm cleared by the doctor to do this.
1. Complete at least 1 Sprint Triathlon. This means I'll have to get on a bike again which honestly scares me given how much the bike hurts my butt anyway, forget about after having a baby. Ha. Also, I'm having visions of myself pumping in the car 10 minutes before the start. Good times.
2. Try a Pure Barre class. I've been wanting to for awhile and my yoga studio offers them now, so there is no excuse not to.
I know I'm bound to encounter some new challenges with working out, but both my parents were great models of making exercise a priority even with kids, so I know it can be done.
What are your fitness goals for 2014?