Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Max is 1 Month Old!

Believe it or not, Max turned 1 month old yesterday! It was also Eric's 33rd birthday. At one point we thought they could potentially share a birthday but Max was having none of that, he wanted his own month! We have been at the Cape all weekend, and we spent the day yesterday wine tasting at two wineries to celebrate these two important birthdays. Max was pleased to see that Westport Rivers Winery had a champagne named after him. 

Photo  77

It's hard to believe that a month has already passed, but when I look at how much Max has grown in the past month, I guess it's not that surprising. A lot has happened since his 3 week update!  As I mentioned then, I put Max on a feeding schedule. He now eats at 7, 10, 1, and 4, both AM and PM. The biggest change I made to implement this schedule was just making sure he was eating enough at each feeding so he wouldn't want to eat again 10 minutes later. This works 90% of the time, and then sometimes we have nights like last night where he falls asleep while eating and then demands to eat again as soon as I put him in the crib. But, I'll take 90% of the time. Obviously the ideal situation would be for him to start to stretch out those night feedings so that he is only waking up once, but that may take another month… or longer :) 

As Max gets a little older (ha!), he has had a bit more excitement in his life. He had another play date with his friend Maya. We went out to lunch and the two of them sat next to each other in their car seats. They were even mistaken for twins. He has continued to be a restaurant champion, especially now that we discovered the trick of turning a high chair upside down so he can sit in his car seat right at the table. He has also been babysat by both sets of grandparents so Eric and I can go out for a little bit by ourselves. 

Plus, Max FINALLY passed his due date! He is officially "supposed to be here" and it's so hard to believe that he could be only a few days old rather than a whole month at this point. 

Photo  80

Max had his first Valentine's Day and miraculously fit into his newborn valentines day shirt. 

Photo  78

Max is also starting to notice things around him a lot more. His eyes follow people and toys now and he seems to enjoy when we talk and make faces at him. It's fun to see the beginning of his personality developing! Overall, Max is just a great baby, and we love him very, very much. 

Looks Like: 

Winn 140216 3661

Max has his 1 month appointment at the doctor on Thursday and I'm looking forward to learning how tall he is and how much he weighs. I feel like he has grown a LOT! 

Likes: giving hugs when we are burping him, hanging out with the many people who love him, making noises, fighting with his swaddle

Dislikes: still hiccups! 

Feeding: As mentioned above, he nurses about 8 times per day, sometimes 9 if necessary. He tends to eat more in the later afternoon/early evening and since I often pump at the 7pm feeding and Eric gives him a bottle, I think he gets the most at this feeding (though I really have no way of knowing that). 

Sleeping: This is so much more consistent now. Max now has many more good nights than bad nights. He goes into his swaddle and bassinet after the 10pm feeding (around 11) and sleeps there only waking up for 2 feedings until about 7am. I'm really happy to say that he does not have to be put in the bassinet already asleep, he is capable of getting himself to sleep which is wonderful. Max is also more awake during the day, but it isn't all that consistent. 

Whew, so much to know about Max! I'm hoping to get a post up later this week about motherhood after 1 month. Stay tuned :) 

10 comments:

  1. Happy one month Max! I still can't get over how much hair he has.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture of him gasping is SO CUTE! I'm glad you guys had a great time getting out and celebrating Max' one month birthday and Eric's birthday!! Sounds like you two are doing an amazing job of being parents, but also keeping up your own identity and keeping up with things you like to do and just bringing Max into the fold. He's a lucky little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! I love Max! I seriously am obsessed with the photo of him in his Valentine's day gear. He just looks so much older and full of personality. Miss him already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, the Max pictures kill me. He's just so freakin' adorable and handsome. His eyes and his hair. If you guys lived closer I would volunteer to watch him so you and Eric could go out! Also, happy birthday to your hubs and happy one month to Max. Love these recaps and updates, so thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a little stud, already having bubbly named after him! ;) Parenthood warning: as soon as you think you have something figured out, babies/toddlers/kids change and throw all the rules out the window. Don't say I didn't tell you so. ha. Kidding. So glad you have figured out a feeding schedule that seems to work for you and for Max. It's also great to see you're turning Max into a social little boy. This is definitely the age to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, I love all the pictures of Max. He definitely is starting to look a bit more chubby so I can tell he he is growing, too. I hope his 1 month appointment goes well. And you haven't mentioned how you are feeling so I am hoping that means that you are feeling better! (and not itching anymore!)

    I think it's great that you are able to get out and about with him. This is definitely the time to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is so adorable. I want to snuggle him and smell him and give him right back. Especially since my child would say, no baby, mama, no. I-ya, mama, dada home, no baby. ha. I have to admit I'm jealous that you have been able to get out and do things. My child hated life outside of our house for the first couple of months. I went slightly insane.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh his facial expressions are THE BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  9. He is adorable!! Seriously, that hair! MOST AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE his hair. It's insanely cute.

    ReplyDelete