Thursday, February 11, 2010

Good Morning Sunshine...

It may SEEM like a random post title, considering it's 6:30 at night. But I swear it's relevant...

Have I mentioned my serious love for quinoa? I made a huge batch of it on Sunday and it has been my plan to eat it as many ways as possible throughout the week. Mostly I have just eaten it as a side to my dinner, but the other night I tried it as a dessert.

This morning I was looking at my last serving and I knew I had to do something totally different so I decided to go with quinoa for breakfast. I was dreaming of adding pears to my quinoa, but unfortunately the pears I bought seem like they may never ripen. So instead I decided to use two yellow fruits and give it a nice corny name...

Good Morning Sunshine Quinoa

Ingredients:
1 cup of cooked quinoa
1/4 cup of soy milk (or your own substitute)
1 banana sliced
1 cup cubed mango (I use frozen)
cinnamon to taste

Directions:
If you are using frozen mango (it's amazing from Trader Joes), make sure to microwave it for about 30 seconds or so before beginning. Mix all ingredients in a small pot. Cook on the stove for about 5-7 minutes.

You will know it's done when the milk is evaporated and the bananas are melted a bit. Pour into a bowl and enjoy.

This had a similar feel to having oatmeal for breakfast but it was a healthy way to change it up :) Have you ever had quinoa for breakfast? What did you add to it?

We are in the final preparations for our trip to Arizona on Sunday! I am so excited, it has been so long since we went on a real trip! Thanks to my Arizona book and Madeline's fabulous advice we have a few must-dos in each place. Do any Arizona readers (or anyone who may have visited Arizona) have any additional recommendations I might be forgetting?

Sedona
Pink Jeep Tours (if my stomach can handle it)
Cathedral Rock

Grand Canyon
Actually have NO idea what we are going to do here- it's really cold. Any winter at the Grand Canyon ideas?

Phoenix
Desert Botanical Gardens
Camelback Mountain and possibly some other hikes
Heritage Square
Phoenix Zoo
Mystery Castle

We also have some great restaurant recommendations for Phoenix thanks to Madeline and Lisa!

Who wants to add something (or take something away) from my list?


11 comments:

  1. I keep seeing quinoa pop up in breakfast posts -- is quinoa the new oatmeal? ;) Haven't tried a sweet version yet but curious.

    If you haven't already nailed down all of your accomodations for Arizona, I have to recommend the Wigwam Motel (www.galerie-kokopelli.com/wigwam) in Holbrook, Az. We stayed here like 10 years ago and it was probably the most memorable part of the trip. So cheesy but also a really unique experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, VERY creative use of Quinoa!

    Your trip sounds fabulous. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All that stuff sounds amazing...can I come with you? That would probably be awkward...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eh, I have no AZ suggestions (though that trip sounds great!), but if you head on over to Vegas next door, I can send some tips being I'm a local. :)

    That quinoa looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, I never thought to make quinoa for breakfast, but it totally makes sense! I also adore quinoa!!!

    So excited for your phx trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks good. I've never had sweet quinoa.

    Never been to AZ so I don't have any advice for you? By the way, when is your honeymoon in Maui? It would be funny if we were there at the same time. Mine is July 6-13th.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had quinoa for breakfast but I've seen it a few other places - looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had actually read about some breakfast with quinoa and oats, but I've never made it. THIS breakfast sounds fantastic, and you reminded me about the goodness of mangoes. I like to by them fresh and cut them up and put them in the freezer. They are such a delicious snack (sometimes I dip them in chocolate and THEN freeze them!). So I will have to try this quinoa breakfast once my oat bran obsession disappears.

    I was reading your comment on my blog about the McDonald's commercial. I can't believe it!! They are lucky they have a crap load of money, because I'm sure that's the only way they became a sponsor. If Olympians eat at McDonald's I hope it's not the American olympians, or we're doomed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a way to start off the morning!! looks lovely and i'm sure it tasted fabulous.

    Happy friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't seem to fully have made the switch over to quinoa. Whenever I eat it I love it but I never really feel like making it... maybe this recipe will help :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never had quinoa - does it taste like oatmeal?

    ReplyDelete