Hi everyone! I'm so sorry about my absence the past few days, I have really missed blogging so much. I am having an absolutely crazy couple of weeks. I am definitely one of those people who gets everything organized and done on the weekends because the weeks are so crazy. But with a wedding last weekend and a bachelorette all weekend this weekend, the weeks have been even more crazy and I haven't had one spare minute. Next week is parent/teacher conferences so I have also been frantically writing report cards and trying to prep for those. I'm hoping next week will be a little bit better, but no promises.
Tomorrow afternoon I'm braving what is sure to be terrible traffic to drive down to Newport for Tiff's bachelorette. In spirit of this I thought I'd do a post on staying healthy on the road. I will admit that due to my problems with my stomach, I really don't have a lot of choice about staying healthy on vacation. But even with the motivation there, it can still be difficult. When I was on a family vacation in California last year, my brother was making jokes about how BAD restaurants can be about listening to special requests. I'd ask for a sandwich dry and it would come lathered in butter. This was in Northern California which is supposed to be the capital of healthy food!
Even though it is hard, there are still things you can do...
1. Pack snacks. A lot of snacks. So many snacks that maybe you only need to eat out twice a day (or less if you have a kitchen in your hotel room). I tried to make my snacks for this weekend as fun as possible since it's supposed to be a party :)
Notice both chips are the baked variety. I also made a pumpkin dip for the pita chips and apple slices. This took me about 5 minutes to make and it's SO good. I can't wait to dig into it this weekend! Other recommendations for travel snacks include:
- nuts and/or trail mix
- any kind of healthy bar- luna bars, cliff bars etc
- cereal (obviously I'm a big Cheerios girl)
- carrot sticks
- peanut butter/almond butter
- healthy crackers- kashi or akmak for example
2. Pack water. I don't know if it's just me but my stomach does not love tap water from other places (I drink it at home no problem). So this weekend I packed this giant thing of water just for myself haha. No I will not share.
3. Do your research. I know it sounds annoying but actually what is more fun than thinking about and planning your upcoming trips? (me that's just me). After doing research you should be able to answer:
- What are some healthy restaurants near your hotel? Try Heathy Dining Finder or, if you are a vegetarian, Happy Cow.
- Does your hotel have a gym in the building? Access to a nearby gym?
- Does your hotel room have a fridge? (if so you have a lot more choices for snacks to bring) What about a full kitchen? (suddenly you can cook 1-2 meals a day in your room!)
4. Bring work out clothes and sneakers. I'll be honest, there is little to no chance I'll be working out this weekend, but the hotel DOES have a gym so I am going to bring my stuff just in case the mood strikes. It's worth having. If you prefer to run outside, this is a great way to see more of the place you are visiting.
5. Walk, walk, walk. Part of being on vacation is being a tourist and seeing everything. There is no better way to do this than walking. Walk as much as possible and then you don't have to feel bad that you didn't hit the hotel gym :) I think this weekend it's going to be more like dance for me, but you get the point!
What do you do to stay healthy on the road? I want to hear your tips and suggestions.
Tomorrow we will hopefully have a guest post from my sister, and then after that I am bringing my computer, so hopefully I'll be able to post!