Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Is it Friday yet?

Hola everyone. I'm glad my weekend was so fun, but I always suffer the results of a fun weekend on Monday and Tuesday of the next week. Whew! I am so tired. Yesterday was one of those days where the only reason I even considered working out was because I had a spinning date with two of my friends from work. We go to this AMAZING spin class on Monday nights. Have you ever done "isolations" in spinning? Basically it means you only use your leg muscles, so you can't bounce up and down at all even though you are biking standing up. I had done it in other classes for 5 or 10 seconds and thought it was fine. This instructor makes us hold it for 20-30 seconds, multiple times! It is SO painful. But I imagine it is amazing for my quads, so I do it (well that, and I'd probably look weird if I was the only one bouncing up and down and completely ignoring the instructor!). I'm so happy I had my girls to motivate me because after being out of the house since 6:15 in the morning, the last thing I wanted to do at 6 at night when I finally got home was shove a tuna sandwich in my mouth and run out the door to class. But I did!

As for the knee, I really appreciate how helpful you guys have been in giving me things to try. I feel like I am dealing with my stomach all over again where there are one million things to try, but nothing will really ever actually work. Very frustrating. Thanks to Amber's recommendation, I re-looked at Caitlin's post about her knee. She was diagnosed with the same knee problems so I watch her progress carefully. She was running very little only a few months ago and is now training for a MARATHON after being given the same advice for treatment plans. In a way, this makes me very hopeful- because if someone with the SAME problem as me (who let it get MUCH worse) can now train for a marathon pain free- there is hope for me running again, ever. But at the same time it also makes me secretly (not so secretly) hate her (I can say this because I don't think she reads my blog haha- boy will I be in trouble if she does haha). I mean obviously I don't really hate her and I know life isn't fair. But how can it be that I have been icing my knee and doing these exercises for over a month longer than her, and I am not running AT ALL, while she is training for a marathon. I am not even asking my body to run a marathon! All I want to do is 3 miles! Maybe 6, tops! Right now I'd totally settle for 3! And I am not slacking on these exercises (I'm sure she's not either though). I have seriously done them EVERY OTHER DAY since June. So...this should be over. That's all I'm saying. I am trying two new exercises that Caitlin mentions in her post. I started them tonight, maybe they will be my secret fix...I still have hope.

However, no more complaints allowed. Tomorrow is my second kettlebell class, and even though I made it through last class with no major aches and pains- I was told tomorrow would be twice as hard, so I am ready! I hope everyone is having a good week and that it SPEEDS to Friday this week :)

12 comments:

  1. That spin class sounds like torture...er...fun :-)
    I love spin classes but they're killer. Isolations sound super tough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh hun, you and I are in the same boat. All we want to do is run a few miles pain free. And then I read a blog where some are secretly hoping the rain will keep them from doing their long run, or whatnot. LOL. This is just another reminder for us to appreciate what we are able to do, especially when we are not able to do other things...

    So, spinning didn't aggrevate your knee at all? That's good! Especially when you are doing the isolations and not bouncing! That is hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. now that i found out i can comment on your blog, i want to even though i don't have anything to say haha : ) IM SO EXCITED FOR THE WEEKEND! rest up!
    ps. the playlist for your party is what is motivating me to go to the gym tomorrow so i can listen to it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have only done spinning once and that was so long ago. I should give it another try!

    I hope your knee gets better soon. I had knee trouble after my marathon, but took a long time off from running - like 2 months - and it seemed to heal itself. It was so frustrating, but I am really lucky that it has recovered... I get nervous that I'll have trouble again...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the different work outs you're doing! I need to get more variety into mine for sure :) Like spinning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow that sounds like an intense spin class

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need friday to get here too.

    kettle ball class sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha, you are too funny. I would hate her too, seriously. Of course, it's not her fault, but I know what you mean! I hope the new exercises work. Oh, and regarding the spinning "move", OUCH! I would be sore the next day, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha, hope the new exercises work! I sooo want to run right now, even just for a mile. Can't wait for my muscles to heal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am jealous that your gym has kettlebells. I would love to try a workout using those!

    ReplyDelete
  11. aw the knee thing sounds very frustrating :( sorry girl! have you considered going back to the doc for a second opinion?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh i have definitely done isolations in spin class! they are torture!!! on days i was really lazy i would just pedal reeeaaallly slow - couldn't handle the burn and didn't want to be the one bobbing.

    healthy thoughts to your knee!!

    ReplyDelete