Tuesday, January 31, 2012

January Highlights and Goals Recap

January is already over and I'm left feeling like I almost always do, it went by fast in some ways, and slow it others. The highlights of my month were definitely my two trips to Katie's house at the Cape, first with Eric and Adam and then our girls weekend. Even though the weather went from 60 degrees and sunny to snowbound between the two trips, the feeling of complete and total relaxation was the same on both trips. I love you Cape Cod.


IMG_2438.JPG




This year I decided to do monthly instead of yearly goals! :) Here is a look at how I did with my January goals:




1. Read 4 books. Check! I actually read 5 books this month, wahoo! I was very into a couple of my books which helped and also Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas I literally read in 2 weeknights, which is pretty much unheard of in my world. Here is a list of books I read in January:


Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman

Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas by James Patterson

State of Wonder by Ann Patchett

How to be an American Housewife by Margaret Dilloway

The Lost Wife by Alyson Richman


I recommend all of these books, but my favorite was Saving CeeCee Honeycutt. I loved CeeCee and the characters she met. Also cool, the author, Beth Hoffman, commented on my blog to thank me for recommending her book. Officially star struck.


2. Get to yoga 4 times. Nope. But I got to yoga 3 times, so it's not a total fail. I actually was right on a roll with one time per week until I lost all motivation last week because I realized my pass never expires and then it seemed like the less I went to yoga the less I would have to pay for a new pass. Irrational, I know.


3. Run outside at least once a week. Check. Well, as long as you allow that I ran outside every week except one, but then made up for it by running twice the next week? Sorry, I'm a fair weather runner, I admit it. I'll never be as hardcore as Amber...


4. Donate 2 full bags of clothes to Good Will. Check Plus. This month I donated FOUR trash bags filled with clothes to Good Will as well as a pretty large box of books. I'm already loving life without the extra clutter and I'm sure my tax refund next year will thank me as well. I did have to part with some sentimental value clothing, but it was definitely worn! Still sad though...


IMG_2443.JPG


IMG_2444.JPG


Okay fine, I have the Australia one in another color that I kept... and haven't worn in several years once I learned how washing it makes it fall apart. I swear I'm not a hoarder.


5. Clean the inside of my car. Check. I cleaned my car a few weeks ago and I've managed to keep things relatively clean since that. The only major mess incident occurred coming out of tutoring one morning. I was carrying a plastic box that I keep lots of tutoring supplies in like pencils, glue, scissors, bingo chips, sound cards and picture cards and BAM the whole thing just exploded open and went all over the sidewalk on an extremely windy day. I managed to get up most of the stuff before it blew away but in my rush to get OUT OF THERE and get to work I did throw a lot of it aimlessly into my car. I think most of it is back in the original plastic box though. Thank goodness. Yes, this is something you would've laughed at had you witnessed it. Don't lie.


6. Try something new. Check. Well, I have to admit my plan was to do something really COOL and new this month, but instead I ended up trying 3 new restaurants. I do love me a good restaurant, so I can't complain. I tried a Mexican restaurant in the Cape called Anejo. I got pretty awesome lobster spring rolls. It was like Cape Cod seafood with a Mexican twist. I also tried an offshoot of my favorite restaurant from Burlington VT called Flatbread Company in Burlington, MA! They serve local beer and delicious pizzas, what more could you ask for?




IMG_0250.JPG


Well, you could ask for an amazing brunch spot, also in the suburbs! Eric and I tried a restaurant called Tryst in Arlington for brunch one random Sunday morning. It was a little awkward to eat at a bar at 11 am on a Sunday (we should've made a reservation) but one bite of this french toast and I was over it. Trying new things is the best.




IMG_2446.JPG


January was a pretty sweet month. I hope the rest of 2012 is even better. I'll be back tomorrow with my February goals.


Did you try anything new in January? How about meet any goals?



5 comments:

  1. January was a great month for you! That is so cool that that author commented on your blog! Isn't that the best feeling? The author of "Lunch in Paris" commented on my blog, too, when I recommended her book. I, too, was star struck.

    January was a busy month for me. I traveled to Charlotte & Chicago, and had surgery. But I still managed to study 15 days of the month for a total of 42.25 hours (I just counted as I just finished studying for the night). Doesn't sound like much, but it sure FELT like alot of studying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did really well on your goals this month! I'm reading Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas right now and really enjoying it! I'm about halfway through I think. James Patterson's writing is a little choppy and bothers me at some places though. I used to LOVE his writing and lately I've had trouble with some of his books.

    And Saving CeeCee Honeycutt is literally sitting on the table right beside me right now to be read next. Thanks to your recc of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you were a true bookworm this month! I think I read two books...but considering I used to read two in a YEAR, that's pretty good!
    My goal for January was to save money, despite all the birthdays and special occasions, and I did! I also had a goal to continue workouts even when the weather got bad, but...the weather never got bad, so CHECK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been to Flatbread!! mmmmmm : )

    I can't believe you got rid of your Mod sweatshirt. Is that even allowed? You should have just tossed it in my room.. along with your 4 other bags, just kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not the Mod sweatshirt???

    ReplyDelete