Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Birthday Party Weekend

Hello, friends! I'm glad to see I still have a *few* readers of this blog out there :) I've noticed that blogging has an important trait for me right now. It's a physical rest (which I need, chasing around 2 children is exhausting) but feels like I'm doing something other than just strolling Facebook. My time on FB was down a LOT last week (mainly because I'm tracking it using an app called Moment) and I want to keep that up. The first few days I used it I was spending over an hour a day on Facebook and I'm down to about 20 minutes. That feels like the right amount for checking in with actual friends, but not scrolling through people I don't care about and/or seeing the same post several times. 

It was a birthday party weekend here in our house. Normally I would never RSVP yes for 3 birthday parties in one weekend, but they were all ones we really wanted to attend and actually, it was pretty fun! First on Saturday we headed down to my best friend's daughter's 3rd birthday. We had to arrive a little early in order to fit in the 2 parties but it ended up being nice because the boys had a chance to play with her kids for awhile on their own and we got to chat/help finish the set up. 



On Sunday we had a party for one of Max's friend's from school. I have a love/hate relationship with those parties since I don't know the other parents well, and I typically can't bring Jack so it feels like special time with Max being kind of wasted. BUT, I know it's important for his relationships to go and he loves it so I try to say yes when it makes sense. Yesterday was the ideal party because it was at a park, so Jack could easily come along and Eric was able to plow through a bunch of house stuff while we were gone, so that was perfect. I heard on the Best of Both Worlds podcast... or was it on Happier? (I'm currently obsessed with both) that the more often you see people the closer you feel to them (apparently this is true even if you didn't really like each other at first, fun fact) and that seems to be true in this case. The more often I attend these parties, the more I enjoy going and talking with the other parents there. I am definitely the type of person who makes friends with people/feels closer to them the more often we see each other so, I just need to put in the time, I guess. 

This week I am going to try to focus on healthy(ish) eating, a couple of walks, 2 solid workouts and less than 30 minutes per day of Facebook. I'm also in process of figuring out how I can start having Max help make his own lunch- I'll let you know if that starts to happen.  






2 comments:

  1. I think that concept came from a happier episode! I think they said the more you talk to people, the more you share because you can share things that would seem insignificant if you saw them less frequently or something like that.

    I’m kind of dreading the school bday party thing. But I feel like I might be like the girl on girl next door (blanking on her name) who doesn’t go to any parties? We will see. We will be going to a daycare in an urban area close to downtown so I think a lot of families will be from all over the place as they are likely doing drop off on the way to work. So I don’t think they will be kids he will go to school with so maybe it won’t be a big deal to foster deeper relationships? We will see how I feel in a couple of years though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you guys ended up having so much fun at the birthdays! And yay for the park birthday, that's a perfect compromise! I have no clue how we'll handle the birthdays one day, I haven't really thought about it. Hopefully it won't be too big of a deal since we live in such a small town, it doesn't take more than 15 minutes to get anywhere. ha ha

    ReplyDelete