Friday, May 1, 2009

Ode to Oatmeal


Today is an off day for training so I thought I'd blog about my new favorite food (and by new, I mean I have been eating it for breakfast every day for the past year!). When I was younger I did not like oatmeal. It turns out, I was making it too watery. I buy the Old Fashioned oats and I ignore the oatmeal:water ratio they tell you on the box. I simply cover my oatmeal with water and they I have the perfect amount of water. I got my mom and sister doing this too!
The other ways I make oatmeal really yummy is by adding in fruit and cinnamon. I started by adding blueberries pre-microwave and apple post microwave. Then last year I was in Chicago visiting my college roommate and she didn't have any blueberries so I put in raspberries. It turns out raspberries are even better because they break apart in the microwave and spread out the yummy raspberry taste throughout the oatmeal. After that trip I have been addicted to the raspberries since. Today I decided to try strawberries and while they don't spread out as much as raspberries, they are also really good. I buy the fruit frozen and just add a few each morning. I also love putting apple on my oatmeal. I like how the apple adds a cold, sweet, crunch to my oatmeal. Yum. If you don't like oatmeal now, try adding some fruit and cinnamon and see how it goes. If you do like oatmeal, what is your favorite thing to add to it?

4 comments:

  1. so healthy! thanks for the tips- i'm going to try the raspberries for sure! sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried it, I've been too afraid of the mushy texture. I actually bought a bunch of old fashioned oats for a cookie recipe, so I may need to try just plain old oatmeal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love using steel cut oats and cooking them on the stove. It takes 10 minutes tops to make enough for myself and FI. My favorite thing to do is slice up a banana and put in one teaspoon of brown sugar and sometimes a little bit of milk if it's too thick and it's a bowl full of gooey goodness.

    I have been wanting to add canned pumpkin and maybe some vanilla and see how that turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny! I have odes too (so far: to coffee and eggs!)

    ReplyDelete