Sunday, January 11, 2015

10 Favorite Books of 2014

I'm a little behind on end of 2014 posts. I wrote this one while in Florida but for some reason it did not want to post from my iPad so I had to redo it, with far less explanations. I suppose that since I choose my job based on my love for teaching kids to read, it seems obvious that I love reading. I was worried that my transition into being a mom would mean that I wouldn't have as much time to read. I set my goal for 2014 low (20 books originally) and blew it out of the water… I think I read my 20th book in early April. In 2014 reading saved me from the monotony of nursing a new born and the challenge of middle of the night wakings. It was the one and only hobby I faithfully maintained this year. It has been such a great joy to get to read to Max and have him choose his own favorite books already. It always continues to be a joy to share great books with my students and teach them how to read. 

Here are some of my favorite reads from the year, in no particular order (though I do think #1 was my top favorite). Please share your favorite reads in 2014 in the comments :) 

#1

2014books 6

(Just read it. So good.)

#2

2014books 4

#3

2014books 1

#4

2014books 2

#5

2014books 3

#6

2014books 10

#7

2014books 9

#8

2014books 8

#9-

2014books 11

#10-

2014books 12

9 comments:

  1. I need to still read the pearl and reconstructing amelia! on my list for this year. nursing and reading were some of my favorite first year memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, there are some on this list that I haven't read - The Hiding Place, We Hope You Like This Song, Reconstructing Amelia, and Wonder! My favorite book of the year was The Storied Life of AJ Fikry. I thought it was such a fun, charming read! I also loved The Rosie Project, but I read that in 2013. I am hoping to read the sequel, The Rosie Effect, this year. I'm on the waiting list at the library, though, so it will probably be a looonnngggg wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh, I love that Wonder is on your list! I must have missed that you read that this year. I've read it to my class two years now, and I had a parent tell me that his daughter has been much more excited about reading and he believes it is because of Wonder. Just warms my heart!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really loved a few of the ones on your list too! Especially The Pearl that Broke its Shell and The Rosie Project. I haven't read the Rainbow Rowell book you listed but I LOVED Eleanor & Park and I just started reading Landline and it is also awesome so I'm sure I would like that one too. I love the quirky characters she creates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read a lot of these - but I have read Wonder and agree, it's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually have not read many of these. I did like AJ Fikry and Orphan Train. I preferred A Thousand Splendid Suns over And The Mountains Echoed, although they were both good. I haven't read Attachments but I did read Eleanor and Park and thought it was a very cute book! I will have to add the others to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved Rosie Project and clearly need to request the rest of these from the library using my brand spankin' new app ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the Rosie Project!
    I haven't read many of these, either. I need to get on it, I guess =) So many books, so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I only read two of those. The Orphan Train and Reconstructing Amelia. I liked them both. I have not read a novel in several months. Now I am reading the texts from my course to stay ahead of my students.

    ReplyDelete